Malvern Hills and Wychavon District Councils have launched a new upskilling grant scheme to help with the cost of taking on an apprentice or trainee.
Funded by the Government’s Community Renewal Fund, the grant is available to all small and medium-sized businesses in both districts. Up to £2,000 can be used to support the training of any apprentice or trainee carrying out an accredited qualification (e.g. apprenticeship, graduate training programme, NVQ and similar).
Businesses in any sector can apply and the money can be paid for all trainees, as long as they began training after 1 April 2021. What’s even better is you can claim up to two upskilling grants during the funding period.
To qualify your businesses just needs to:
- be based in the Malvern Hills or Wychavon district postcode area
- employ fewer than 250 people
- pay at least the Minimum Wage to the trainee for a post of at least 20 hrs a week including training over a minimum of 3 months
- provide for the trainee to gain a recognised qualification
Grants are paid on a first come first served basis and will last until the funding runs out so to avoid disappointment businesses are encouraged to apply now. Grants are paid after the apprentice or trainee has completed 3 months of their course.
Applications must be made by 31 March 2022. Don’t worry, applying doesn’t involve lots of paperwork but we will need you to provide the following information:
- Confirmation from the training provider of the course and trainee’s enrolment.
- Copy of a minimum 12 months signed employment contract
- Signed Grant Agreement between employer and Malvern Hills District Council or Wychavon District Council
- Any additional evidence requested by Malvern Hills District Council or Wychavon District Council If you’re interested then visit www.malvernhills.gov.uk/skills or www.wychavon.gov.uk/business to apply and for full terms and conditions.
For businesses outside of the two districts, there is still a variety of support available to help your business with upskilling, developing or recruiting new staff. Speak to the Worcestershire Growth Hub team to find out more and see what support is available for your business. If you would like a chat about the new grant scheme, also contact the Worcestershire Growth Hub and one of the team will be able to help guide you.
Get in touch with out team on 01905 677888 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Worcestershire Growth Hub