Export Week brings the world to the West Midlands
Firms across the West Midlands are being urged to get on the fast track to success by joining UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) as it brings the world to the region for its sixth Export Week (10-14 November).
Organised by UKTI in conjunction with partners and business organisations, Export Week aims to encourage companies to take up the export challenge and highlight the wealth of support and knowledge available to help them grow.
Previous Export Weeks have seen more than 17,000 companies across the UK attend events. UKTI’s flagship ExploreExport roadshow will be touring the country bringing a total of 130 UKTI Commercial Officers and British Chamber of Commerce representatives from 80 countries to share their expertise with local firms.
The ExploreExport roadshow will be at the ICC, Birmingham on Wednesday, 12 November. The event offers local firms pre-bookable, one-to-one meetings with up to four of their chosen market specialists. Set to be the biggest of its kind in the country, the West Midlands ExploreExport event also offers firms a range of other opportunities, including:
• UKTI adviser hub: drop-in clinic where firms can speak to local UKTI advisers.
• Exhibition zone: visitors will be able to engage with up to 40 organisations who will be on hand to offer advice and support on a range of subjects including: access to finance; law and regulation; Intellectual Property; logistics; overcoming language and cultural differences; translation services; international marketing; and generating leads overseas.
• Market lounge: opportunity for networking and informal talks with experts from some of the region’s biggest export markets.
• Seminars: a programme of short seminars tackling the most common barriers to exporting, and offering solutions.
Other events during Export Week include: a mid-sized business event; a women-led business event; a start-up event for young entrepreneurs; and an event focusing on the opportunities presented by the next powerhouses of Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey (MINT). All the events during Export Week are free, except the ExploreExport event which costs £50 plus VAT.
Paul Noon, UKTI West Midlands Regional Director said:
“Export Week is an ideal opportunity for firms from across the region to find out more about international trade and the range of support that’s available to help them achieve their exporting ambitions.”
“Evidence shows that exporters do better with UKTI’s help. So far this year, nearly £174 million worth of business wins have been recorded by West Midlands firms assisted by UKTI. If you feel your company could benefit from growth - whether you’re new to exporting, or want to build on existing exports - come along to one of the events and speak to us. We can help you find the right market and prevent costly mistakes, we can put you in touch with contacts in your chosen market, as well as provide a whole range of other services that will boost your chances of success.”
Partners supporting Export Week include UK Export Finance, ACCA, RBS, Birmingham City University, Staffordshire Council and the European Enterprise Network.
Export Week (10-14 November) will feature a range of events across the region, including:
• Monday, 10 November - Taking on Brazil – Business workshop, Birmingham Science Park, Faraday Wharf, Holt Street, Birmingham B7 4BB. Time: 08:30-16:00
• Monday, 10 October - Overseas Business Opportunities Workshop, Birmingham Science Park, Faraday Wharf, Holt Street, Birmingham B7 4BB. Time: 09:00 – 16:00
• Tuesday, 11 November - Metnet (Marches Environmental Technologies Network) Conference 2014 - Ludlow Racecourse, nr Bromfield SY8 2BT, 09.30 – 15.30pm.
NB only environmental companies – or businesses looking to diversify into these areas - based in the Herefordshire, Worcestershire, Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire areas can attend.
• Tuesday, 11 November - Web Optimisation & Social Media Marketing Workshop, De Vere Colmore Gate, 2-6 Colmore Row, Birmingham B3 2QD. Time: 09:00 – 16:00
• Tuesday, 11 November - Emerging Europe, Coventry (location tbc) Time: 08:30-11:00 (followed by networking).
• Wednesday, 12 November - Explore Export, The ICC, Broad Street, Birmingham, B1 2EA. Time: 08:30 – 16:00
• Thursday, 13 November - Women-led business: Expand your horizons, IET Birmingham: Austin Court, 80 Cambridge Street, Birmingham, B1 2NP. Time: 15:00 - 19:30
• Friday, 14 November - Start-up global, Thinktank, Millennium Point, Curzon St, Birmingham, B4 7XG. Time: 09:30 – 15:30
• Friday, 14 November - Staffordshire Export Support, Drayton Manor Hotel, Drayton Manor Theme Park, Drayton Manor Drive, Tamworth B78 3TW.
• Wednesday, 19 November – MINT (Mexico, Indonesia, Nigeria and Turkey): The next powerhouses, The Ricoh Arena, Phoenix Way, Foleshill, Coventry CV6 6GE. Time: 09:30 – 14:30
For more information about any of the events taking place during Export Week or to book a place, log onto the website: www.exportweek.ukti.gov.uk/full
To find out if UKTI can help your business expand overseas call: 44(0) 345 2220159
Follow UKTI West Midlands on Twitter @wm_ukti