This is an essential course for anyone in a people management role who wants to obtain positive outcomes and changes in behaviour from an appraisal process.
This course is designed to improve your understanding of what makes a good appraisal performance development interview, and the skills you need to develop in order to conduct them effectively.
Too often appraisals become meetings where the manager has difficulty getting their point across successfully and the appraisee becomes defensive. This one day course will provide learners with a number of approaches and techniques to ensure that the appraisals they conduct are structured, productive and positive.
Course Format and Duration
This one day workshop will use case studies, activities and exercises, observation and feedback to develop the skills you need.
• Introduction – Why have appraisals
• Preparing for an appraisal to improve the quality of the meeting
• Measuring performance
• Being objective
• Planning constructive feedback
• Feedback planner
• Helping staff to DEAL with feedback
• Appraisal techniques
• Appraisal exercises
• After the appraisal
• Monitoring progress
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
• Deliver effective appraisals and performance reviews
• Set effective objectives for improved performance
• Recognise the skills you need to develop yourself as a manager
• Conduct an appraisal interview
• Evaluate your own performance and development
The Business Benefit
- Learn skills to avoid the most common pitfalls of poor appraisals
- Competence in turning potential conflict into positive behavioural change
- Development of an appraisal approach that suits you, your people and your organisation
- How to use appraisals to get happier, more productive and more motivated team members
- Supports management development
Your Course Tutor
Jon Williams has been a trainer for more than Eighteen years. Fully qualified through the CIPD, Jon works in both the public and private sectors delivering a wide variety or management, customer related and personal development training.
Who Should Attend This Course?
This course is intended for anyone who does appraisals or has responsibility for Performance Management Reviews.
It forms part of a short programme of courses intended for Managers who want to develop their skills. Perfect for managers who want to know how to set standards and improve their teams performance.
What Our Customers Say
The trainer John was fantastic, there was just the right amount of stories, theory and practise to make it work! Carly Barnes – Countrywide