What is Mental Health First Aid?
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is an internationally recognised training course, designed to teach people how to spot the signs and symptoms of mental ill health and provide help on a first aid basis.
Adult MHFA courses can be attended by people aged 16 upwards and are relevant for the general population. Everyone on an Adult MHFA course is taught a set of skills which enables them to support someone experiencing mental health issues. Each and every MHFA course is delivered by a quality assured instructor, who has attended the seven day instructor training programme accredited by the Royal Society for Public Health.
Developed my MHFA England this one day course qualifies delegates as Mental Health First Aid Champions.
The one-day Mental Health First Aid Champion training is an awareness and skills course which will teach you to:
• Recognise the main signs and symptoms of common mental health issues
• Provide initial support
• Guide a person towards appropriate professional help
• Be mindful of your own wellbeing
• Develop an understanding of how you can create and maintain a healthier workforce or community
Everyone who attends the course will receive a copy of the MHFA manual and workbook, which are both excellent support resources. When you have completed the course you will also receive a certificate to confirm that you are a Mental Health First Aid Champion.
This course gives delegates an understanding of common mental health illnesses and gives them the confidence to promote mental health awareness. Delegates also gain the ability to spot signs of mental ill health and the skills to support positive wellbeing for themselves and others.
• About Mental Health First Aid
• About mental health and stress in the workplace
• Stigma and discrimination
• Anxiety disorders
• Other mental health issues
• Early warning signs of mental ill health
• Alcohol, drugs and mental health
• Applying the Mental Health First Aid action plan
• Building a mentally healthy workplace
• Action planning for using MHFA
Assessment and Certification
There is no formal assessment for this course but delegates must complete all sections of the course. On completion of the course delegates will receive a Mental Health First Aid Champion certificate.