This course is designed to improve your understanding of what makes a good appraisal performance development interview, and the skills you need to develop in order to conduct them effectively.
Too often appraisals become meetings where the manager has difficulty getting their point across successfully and the appraisee becomes defensive. This one day course will provide learners with a number of approaches and techniques to ensure that the appraisals they conduct are structured, productive and positive.
Course format and duration
This one day workshop will use case studies, activities and exercises, observation and feedback to develop the skills you need.
• Introduction – Why have appraisals
• Preparing for an appraisal to improve the quality of the meeting
• Measuring performance
• Being objective
• Planning constructive feedback
• Feedback planner
• Helping staff to DEAL with feedback
• Appraisal techniques
• Appraisal exercises
• After the appraisal
• Monitoring progress
By the end of the course delegates will be able to:
• Deliver effective appraisals and performance reviews
• Set effective objectives for improved performance
• Recognise the skills you need to develop yourself as a manager
• Conduct an appraisal interview
• Evaluate your own performance and development