Three Worcestershire companies have been recognised in the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise for their exporting success, it is announced today (21 April 2016).
Winsted Ltd, Orchard Valley Foods, and Kudos Blends Ltd, have all been awarded the honour.
Announcing the winners of the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise, Business Secretary Sajid Javid said two thirds (150 companies) are being celebrated for their exporting success.
The announcement comes during Exporting is GREAT week (18-22 April) where UK Trade & Investment West Midlands is holding nine events across the regions to inspire local companies to grow their businesses overseas and provide advice and support to do so.
Kudos Blends, of Cleobuey Mortimer, which specialises in technically driven bakery raising agents, was recognised for its growing international sales.
Director Dinnie Jordan said:
“I never imagined we’d export our products when I set up Kudos Blends and it’s been a steep but enjoyable learning curve with invaluable support from the UKTI.”
Tenbury Wells based Orchard Valley Foods has celebrated year-on-year growth in its export of confections, decorations and inclusions and now trades with 30 overseas markets.
Chairman Mike Forrester said:
“We are very proud of the team’s achievements and dedication to make Orchard Valley Foods a truly international supplier. To be recognised with the UK’s highest accolade for business success is a reflection on the whole business.”
It is the third time in five years that Bromsgrove-based Winsted Ltd, which designs, manufactures and delivers control room furniture solutions, has been awarded the accolade.
General Manager Terry Shough said:
“Aachieving this award again in such a short space of time confirms the company’s position as a leading supplier within our industry.”
Widely regarded as the most prestigious business awards in the country, 2016 marks the 50th anniversary for the winners of the Queen’s Awards scheme in what is also her Majesty the Queen’s 90th birthday year.
Other West Midlands region winners are: The Binding Site Group, Birmingham, which specialises in producing highly sensitive and highly specific antibodies for the detection of certain cancers and other serious disorders. The company exports over 89% of what it manufactures and has seen its international trade more than double in value from 2010 to 2015.
Hoshizaki Europe Limited, Telford, Shropshire, which produces 80% of Hoshizaki ice machines sold in Europe; Dermal Thermal Technology Ltd, Keele, Staffordshire, the largest provider of non-animal skin absorption studies in the world; health food retailer Holland and Barrett, Nuneaton, Warwickshire; JMB Partnership, sales and marketing Agency, Wellesbourne, Warwickshire; tableware designer and manufacturer Portmeirion Group, Staffordshire; and Lock, Stock & Barrel Grooming Company, Birmingham, which supplies professional salon products.
JCB Compact Products, which designs and manufactures a range of compact construction equipment at its factory in Cheadle, Staffordshire has also been awarded the Queen’s Award, as has MCP, a Solihull-based consultancy that provides asset management consulting and training services.
Business Secretary Sajid Javid said:
“The Queen’s Awards are a great way of celebrating the best of British business. Whether you’re a disruptive start-up making life easier for your customers or a large company with a blockbuster product, these awards recognise your contribution to enterprise.
“We are a country full of exciting and innovative businesses that deserve to be celebrated. I’d like to commend all the winners for their hard work in creating jobs for people and driving our growing economy.”
Those looking to achieve overseas success and be eligible for next year’s awards should take advantage of the online resource on www.exportingisgreat.gov.uk
to register for webinars, twitter talks, access expert advice and apply for one of the nearly 2000 export opportunities currently available.
Alternatively, companies in the West Midlands can find out more about the services available through UK Trade & Investment by contacting the West Midlands International Trade Hotline on email@example.com
or +44(0) 345 222 0159.
Notes to editors
1. Firms that won a Queen’s Award for international trade showed they have benefited from substantial international growth in overseas earnings and commercial success within their sector.
2. Of the 150 companies that won a Queen’s Award for international trade, 89% have worked with UK Trade & Investment to sell overseas.
3. UK Trade & Investment (UKTI) is the government department that helps UK-based companies succeed in the global economy. We also help overseas companies bring their high quality investment to the UK’s economy – acknowledged as Europe’s best place from which to succeed in global business. UKTI offers expertise and contacts through its extensive network of specialists in the UK, and in British embassies and other diplomatic offices around the world. We provide companies with the tools they require to be competitive on the world stage. For more information, visit www.gov.uk/ukti.
4. Exporting is GREAT, part of the world-renowned GREAT campaign, is the most ambitious exporting push that UK Trade & Investment has ever undertaken. Launched in November 2015, HM Government’s unique 5-year multi-platform initiative aims to support 100,000 additional UK businesses to sell their goods or services overseas by 2020. For more information visit www.exportingisgreat.gov.uk
5. Exporting is GREAT week is a bi-annual programme of UK-wide events led by UK Trade & Investment, aimed at inspiring more companies to grow their business overseas, and provide advice and support to do so.
6. Winners of the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise are visited by a Royal representative and are presented with a crystal bowl as a mark of their achievement. They are also invited to attend a reception at Buckingham Palace in July 2016.
7. Businesses are also able to use the Queen’s Awards emblem in advertising, marketing and on packaging for five years.
8. A full press book of winners, including descriptions and contact details of the 243 winners of the Queen’s Awards for Enterprise and five winners of the Queen’s Award for Enterprise Promotion, is attached.
9. Entries to the 2017 Awards close on Friday 2nd September 2016. To apply and for more information, go to www.gov.uk/queens-awards-for-enterprise/overview .